25 Oct Not-so-Obvious Signs of Alcohol Addiction
Alcohol addicts often don’t want help. They hide their problem as well as their struggle. Hiding allows them to go on drinking. Without professional help, the drinker can go on for long till s/he hits rock bottom. The longer they drink at dangerous levels, the higher is their likelihood of addiction.
So, how can you know if a loved one is hiding a drinking problem?
While denial is common among alcoholics, a person with a drinking problem will often rationalize the amount they drink; convincing themselves and others that it is no more than a drink now and then. When someone drinks in unhealthy amounts and pattern, it can involve clever ways to obtain and hide alcohol, including
- traveling to places they may not be recognized, to buy alcohol
- hiding alcohol around the house or office, for example, in non-alcoholic drink containers
- using a hip flask
- mixing alcohol in soft drinks
Hidden Signs of Alcoholism
There are various signs that may indicate a drinking problem.
- Denying or lying about the amounts they are drinking
- Drinking heavily while alone
- Passing out due to too much drinking
- Neglecting personal and professional responsibilities as a result of drinking
- Drinking alcohol first thing in the morning
- Experiencing cravings for a drink that affect mood or concentration levels
If you recognize these signs in a loved one, seek professional help so that they can work towards the best possible solution.